MAS 105: NEW COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY- COURSE SYLLABUS AND OUTLINE
UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS
DEPARTMENT OF MASS COMMUNICATION
CODE: MAS 105- NEW COMMUNICATION
Course syllabus and Outline
The course is an appreciation course in which students are expected to gain an understanding of the nature of new communications technologies and their uses in processing information and aiding communications.
After going through the course, students should have knowledge of the computer, internet, wireless networks, cell phones and other modern communication devices and how these affect society. They are also expected to be familiar with social media and will to this end create personal Twitter accounts and group blog accounts where all assignments will be posted.
Overview of the communication process
- Information Communication Technology ICT: Definition
- Basic concepts in Communication and New Communication Technology
2. The Internet
- Search Engines
3. Content creation and management tools: features and Uses
- Audio and Video Recorders
4. Uses of ICT in Emerging Areas of Mass communication
- Online and Multimedia Journalism
- Citizen and Participatory Journalism
- Social Media
1. Impacts of ICT on society
ICT & Society: ‘Positive’ Impacts
- ICT & Society: ‘Negative’ Impacts
- Digital Divide: First and Second Level Digital Divide
- Global Village
- ICT & Society: Future Scenarios
The course will be taught through classroom lectures. Students will be required to carry out in-class and take-home assignments.
REQUIREMENTS & GRADING
This course requires that students work in small groups to complete a series of assignments on different types of communication technologies. There will be at least two intra-semester assignments and one end-of-semester examination. Each assignment will carry a maximum score of 20%, while the exam will carry a maximum score of 60%.
Students are expected to sign up to Facebook and Twitter and follow at least 50 leaders in media and communications including the course lecturer, with Twitter handle: @amobifeoma. Students are also required to set up group blogs at WordPress.com. All assignments must be published on the group blogs and the blog URL sent to Lecturer’s dedicated course email address: email@example.com.